Minimum education, training, and experience required:
Degree in special education and certification in at least one area of disability as a teacher by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
Minimum qualifications or standards required:
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to use a variety of equipment and classroom tools such as computers, copiers, typewriters, calculators, pencils, scissors, and equipment for children with special needs, etc. Must be able to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise, move objects. Due to the amount of time spent standing and/or walking, physical requirements are consistent with those for Light Work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable, functional, structural, or composite characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak and/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes receiving instructions, assignments, and/or directions from superiors.
- Language Ability: Requires the ability to read a variety of correspondence, reports, handbooks, forms, lists, etc. Requires the ability to prepare correspondence, simple reports, forms, instructional materials, etc., using prescribed format.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form; and to deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Special knowledge, skill, physical requirements, or other factors
- Ability to constantly monitor the safety and well-being of students, particularly when the student is participating in an inclusive activity. Ability to motivate students. Ability to maintain a clean and orderly environment. Ability to perform general clerical duties. Ability to maintain order and discipline in a classroom. Ability to operate common office machines. Ability to maintain basic files and records. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitates by work assignments.
Training/Certification in the following:
- General Organization Orientation
- First Aid/ CPR
- Person-centered planning
- Implementing treatment plan
- Medication administration
- Seizure management
- Blood-borne pathogens/ infectious disease transmission
- Cultural awareness
- Special populations served
- Documentations requirements
- Crisis interventions
- Safety precautions
If you are interested in this position, please fill out the online application here: Online Employment Form